Friday, July 9, 2010

Pink Panther Gets Wet


Big Mahalos to my coach Eric Abbott for not only picking up my board from A'ala shipping, but ALSO unpacking my board and helping me get it rigged! I'm still playing around with the fin, and might even get a custom fin from North Shore fin shaper Brian Bills (who makes these incredible fins that are like pieces of art) - it will be the ultimate compliment to my new Pink Panther!

So we water tested the board on Friday July 9 (also my brother's birthday!). Just a short run from Wailupe to Kaimana Beach, Oahu. Always feels great when your paddling buddy (Eric) is hooting and hollering for you - you know you're doing great! I LOVE the board. It is more of an unlimited style than I've been paddling; a bit more volume, a flatter rocker, and fleshed out nose. I definitely noticed the more paddle power needed to get it going (and the need to anticipate bumps, which I've been working on for the last few years), but when this board catches a wave, it is able to fly, linking wave to wave and jumping over waves to reach higher and higher speeds. I'm super stoked to be able to test it in the Cline Mann race this Saturday and also to paddle it across the channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment